Monday, August 23, 2010

Gustav Klimt





I borrowed a book from the library on Klimt's paintings and his life as an artist. It was quite interesting, and lovely to look at. One thing i found interesting was there was pictures of his 'private collection' that was released after his death. It got me thinking about whether this is the right thing to do, and would Klimt really want the world looking at his personal works. I even felt bad looking at them. I remember when i went to the Picasso exhibition a few years ago, their was cabinets full of Picasso's personal possessions, such as letters, toiletries and even a bloody tissue found in his house. Does anyone else find that a bit disturbing.. and even stalker like? I mean, yes they were brilliant artists who's lives are very intriguing to others, but there must be somewhere to draw a line? I don't think it really matters if they aren't here anymore, i certainly wouldn't want my personal and private things going on show to the world when i die.

1 comment:

  1. these paintings are so wonderful. gustav klimt mixes subtlety and boldness so well.
    and i totally agree with you, its wrong to intrude into someones life even if that someone is dead. i can't believe they showed all these things in the picasso museum! i feel a 'private' collection should never be shown out of respect.

    ReplyDelete